Friday, May 23, 2008

Career Day and a couple other things...

Today was Career Day at Piner Middle School in Sherman. My friend Whitney invited me to speak as a Child Care Center Director. I was so honored. I was very nervous and it took a miracle to get me there. Let me tell you about Career Day and then I'll tell you about the day before...

I spoke to three groups of 8th graders for 45 minutes each. They had such great questions. They were so much more mature than I was in 8th grade. They listened, laughed appropriately...were very impressive! I was so unprepared. I was at Wal Mart at 6:45 this morning try to get my "stuff" together. We made crafts...never can have a preschool craft without a paper plate. (Thanks for the idea Cass)! We made sail boats with paper plates, straws and our hand print cut out of construction paper. I told them of my early love of Sharpies and Crayons. We even had a drawing at the end of each session for a package of crayons and a package of Sharpies. (They were my first love)!! Anyway, I really did walk away feeling good about our future. I reminded them that high school is hard. I told them that being the MOST POPULAR isn't always the most important thing in life. Be true to yourselves...do what is best. Volunteer and continue to love kids....I had a great morning.

Let me tell you now why I almost didn't make it there. On Mother's Day I had a really yucky, scary thing happen. I thought I had a cyst rupture in my ovary...turns out I had a miscarriage. I didn't know I was even pregnant until yesterday and that I had miscarried 10 days before. So, a "raging" infection ensued in my uterus and cervix. My Mom told me for 10 days to call the doctor and I didn't...until yesterday. When your OB/GYN tells you to come...NOW when you describe symptoms you tend to GO! They figured out pretty quick what the problem was, but they were really busy and couldn't really get anything going until Tuesday as far as an ultrasound and a D&C. So, I headed home. Chris was already on his way so we decided to have lunch in McKinney and talk about what had happened. Instead, I got 5 minutes down the road and they called and said..."come back." So, we went to the ER. Stayed for about 5 hours worth of tests and they decided I needed to be rid of the infection before we make another move. As I was checking out of the ER the preschool called to say that Maddy had fallen and they "thought" she had a broken arm or something. So, Chris and I raced to Sherman to get to her. She was hysterical. Painfully hysterical. Her teeth were chattering from pain. She wouldn't move her arm. So, Chris headed to a softball game with Macy and Mason and I headed to another ER with Kat. The doctor immediately diagnosed her with Nurses Maid Elbow. It's very intersting. Google it. Easy way to understand...you're walking with your toddler...holding hands and they start to trip so you pull up on their arm and pop...you yank their arm out of socket. So, we went through 5 hours of trying to repop it into place, x-rays, pain, crying, etc. Oh, and I had not eaten since the night before...UGH. We left there without it getting popped back into place. They wrapped it and put it in a baby sling that they made out of a surgical mask because she is so small. It was so cute...I didn't get a picture...but the nurses were coming and taking pictures of it with their cell phones. It was funny.

My sweet husband took the day off and headed to the pediatrician this morning with Kat to see what they could do and I went to Career Day. I could not let my friend Whitney down. Our pediatrician wasn't sure that the diagnosis was right so Chris waited two hours for the x-ray reports from last night. Turns out, the diagnosis was right and she tried two more times to get it popped back into place and POP! She did it!! Chris said..."I heard it, I felt it." She immediately started using her arm again. YEA KAT!! I was so happy.

So, we're home. People keep asking me about our "big plans" for Memorial Day....I plan to do NOTHING!! Yea me.

My friend Kristy was recently dealt a blow. Her husband has been diagnosed with Chiari Malformation, Type I. Please pray for him. He is a local police officer. They have four children. She is an amazing SUPER mom. He will be seeing a brain surgeon in Dallas pretty quick and undergoing surgery soon. Please, please, please pray for the BOUNDS FAMILY!

I will tell you this....after a week like this I can tell you for sure...we are blessed.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for coming to Career Day despite all that other commotion. I really appreciate it, and the kids did too! You were a hit! I'm so glad Maddy is better.